This is the official AP headline for the story about Taylor Swift’s quest to win as many awards for “smooching on the porch swing” songs as she can. I know this because many news outlets kept the same headline.
My list of grievances is only five bullet points long.
- Believe it or not, Taylor Swift is 21 years old. That makes her a woman.
- Jason Aldean is 34 years old. Very much a man.
- Blake Shelton is 35 years old. That makes him a man, not a boy.
- Brad Paisley is 38 years old. Man!
- Keith Urban is 43 years old. That makes him a man.
What’s wrong with calling ourselves by the adult terms we earned? I have no problem calling myself a woman and I’d hope that Keith Urban would call himself a man.