Kim’s rules for early morning walkers/joggers:
1) Realize that I envy you for your committment to fitness. Getting out in the dark of morning to engage in such a demanding physical activity is a Herculean task.
2) Remember that even at that unGodly hour, there are motorists travelling the highways and byways of our great land. Some are going to work. Others have insomnia. We’re all sleepy, because unlike you, it’s not our choice to be out before sunrise.
3) Two teeny pieces of reflective tape on the backs of your sneakers will not help me see you. All I’ll see is brief flashes of reflected light above the road. Untill I see the rest of you pass beneath a streetlight, (or God forbid beneath my tires,) I won’t realize that there is potentially 5+ feet of object above those flashes of light.
3a) And if I’m approaching you head-on…I don’t see those teeny strips on the back of your sneakers at all.
4) If you choose not to wear a stitch of reflective clothing, please don’t wear all black! What are you trying to prove? That you prepaid your funeral?
5) Do consider those dorky reflective safety vests worn by construction workers, crossing guards, and me at the yard sale two weeks ago. Very lightweight, and I can see you from blocks away. I may even smile and nod a greeting at you while I drive by. How about sticking reflective tape to your shirt in a smiley-face pattern? I’d love that.
And a special shout-out to the two (occasionally three) ladies who cut through our parking lot at 5:20 am during their morning walk: Please don’t give me dirty looks for pulling into the parking lot. I work here. But thanks for wearing the dorky vests!
Mood: Middling. Being sick is really weighing on me. Since August!
Work docket: Already did the Ingle column. We don’t have “Hot Jobs” anymore on Mondays, but I do have one “Not Job” to do. Inside joke. Two Swift ads to track down. And I’m going to try to crank out some Letters to the Editor PERL magic before the world troops in.
The Millionaire Mania contest is on, and the site was finished on deadline. Like the gold? The logo was already designed — all other graphics and coding are my own. I’m proud of it.
Lunch plans: Smart Ones barbecue chicken. Pray for me.
Afternoon/Evening: Take the Hopeslayer out for a rousing walk. Restart laundry. Clean kitchen. Vacuum. Call maintenance for broken toilet.
Days until vacation:12
The world of Max: He “Sit“s on command. Am now working on “Down” and “Omigosh stop chewing that!!“