Every now and then WM and I travel separately. Sometimes he goes to visit his family solo. Sometimes I travel for work. It’s how it goes and while we’re never apart for long, sometimes we are apart.I don’t know what he does when I’m not here. From his tellings he pretty much does the same thing he does when I AM here. Me? I go into some sort of adolescent bacchanal state. I stock up on hummus, pita bread, wine, cheese, genoa salami, chocolate cake, wine, chips, wine, etc. I don’t wear pants. I bellow showtunes. And one night I do what I call the Drink and Cry.
It is what it says. I drink wine and make myself cry. I cry over the injustices of the world and our country. Massacres and racism and stupid shit. There is a bunch of self-pity cry in there too because I am a human bean and can’t help it. Dead friends, dead family, dead pets, dead dreams. But sometimes I need to grease the wheels a bit to get a good cry going.
Here, readers, is my Drink and Cry list.
- The last scene from You’ve Got Mail: (“Don’t cry, Shopgirl.” And I still want her hair.)
- The “sign” scene from Love, Actually (and my wasted heart will love you…)
- BNL’s “The Wrong Man Was Convicted” (I miss Steven Page)
- THAT scene from UP!
- Baby Mine from Dumbo.
- Our Last Summer from Mamma Mia. (the movie, yes, shut up)
- Puff the Magic Dragon: This has killed me since I was a kid. “A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys” BTW, Peter, Paul and Mary were amazing.
- I see the light from Tangled
- The stinking origami gum wrapper commercial
Some light reading:
- Abbie the Cat’s telling of the passing of his sister, Martha. YES this is told from the point of view of a cat and I don’t care shut up I’m just ugly-cryng now.
- Gene Weingarten’s Something About Harry from his book Old Dogs are the Best Dogs.
Back to videos… From Les Miz 10th anniversary…
- I Dreamed a Dream (“He slept a summer by my side / He filled my days with endless wonder / He took my childhood in his stride / But he was gone when autumn came”) Sing it, sister.
- Fantine’s Death (“Look, monsieur! Where all the children play!”)
Truth be told, I rarely make it past UP!
Once I’m done, I feel so much lighter and better. I’m a weeper and most of the time I hold it in because it’s just not acceptable to cry whenever I feel like it. It’s messy too. So it’s nice to have a time when I can let loose and only have to apologize to the dogs afterward.
(It took me four months to be able to finish this post, by the way!)