Typhoid Kim

January 21, 2012

My C-P id, ready to turn in.

What a weird few days. Thursday night I went to a happy hour at the Blue Monkey Tavern in Merchantville. It was a lot of fun, plus I tried 2 new (to me) beers: Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout — ordered because it had the word Yeti in the name — and Piraat ale, which was spicy! (ordered because it sounded like pirate.)

Later, I prop my iPHone on the edge of the sink as I wash my hands. My elbow bumps the phone into the sink. It falls into the sink and the display promptly winks out. Ugh.

Friday I dealt with the sadness of my last day. Except it really wasn’t all that sad. I had an amazing cake with Mickey Mouse on it, and I got a Toy Story going away card and a $100 Visa gift card. I managed to muddle through my goodbye speech without completely losing my marbles. And I left at 11am, with everyone waving and cheering as I walked out the door for the last time. Again, I thought I’d lose it when I heard the door click behind me, but…it was time. I loved my years at the C-P but the job (d)evolved into something that I’d never apply for if I saw it in the paper. I will miss my coworkers, though.

The $100 gift card went with me from the C-P to the Apple Store at the Cherry Hill Mall, where I bought the iPhone 4S in white. I stop at the post office. I come home. I faceplant into the sofa. Later that night I wake up and have a cough and a 102 degree fever.

This morning, I wake up at 7am (!!) with a cough, a heavy wheeze and a 101.5 degree fever. I make a doctor appointment for 9:10 and hey, it snowed! So WM decides to drive me there, since I’m practically speaking in tongues because of the fever. I don’t do fevers well.

Diagnosis: Bronchitis, which could have turned into walking pneumonia if I didn’t nip it in the bud early (which I really had to because OMG I START A NEW JOB ON MONDAY AND I NEED TO NOT BABBLE!) The doc gave me a nebulizer treatment while I was there. Never had one before, and I’d like not to have one again.

Now I’m on an inhaler, cough medicine, a Z-pac, and an anti-inflammation steroid. My fever is slowly breaking (down to 99.5) and I feel human again for the first time in over 24 hours.

But at least struggling to breathe kept me from worrying about sucking at the new job. Yay perspective!

I don’t need to be at 100% health on Monday — but I need to be well enough to fake it. (I would like to feel better enough to go to Target tomorrow, though. Because I’d like a new notebook and some new pens to bring to the NEW JOB AND I REALLY HOPE I DON’T SUCK AT IT AND THE PEOPLE LIKE ME!)

You Might Also Like

  • dr. d January 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm

    If you’re in the market for a new notebook, check out the Arc system at Staples. LOVE.

    (This is NOT a paid endorsement)

  • Dave January 22, 2012 at 10:47 am

    Yikes. Take it easy. The Big Day is tommorow!

  • Heidi January 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

    Glad you’re feeling better. GOOD LUCK AT YOUR NEW JOB! YOU WILL BE GREAT! I know it is so worrisome, but I am sure you will be fine. New notebooks and stuff always help too.

  • Ani January 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm

    Congratulations again on the new job!!! You will do swell! And I hope you are all better by now.